Lord Ganesh and his Trunk, Left or Right side ?

Started by shadow, February 26, 2010, 11:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadow

What does Ganesha's Trunk Symbolizes ?
Second, if it is directed towards right is it considered bad luck ? And left good luck ? Where is this derived from ?

Seetaram

vakratundaaya hum - says ganapati mantra
but which direction should it be bent is not specific.

left side is logical as people who try ganapati aaradhana in yogic way see trunk as connection between 3 chakras

1. agna chakra (between brows)
2. visuddhi chakra (throat)
3. anahata chakra (heart)

so trunk should be connecting all above three and should be bent towards ganesh\'s left side near his heart.

only vallabha ganapati is seen with right side bent trunk and its a rarity which is not explained properly
All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire

shadow

Anoo

haha in reality no god exists in any designed form

pallavi

One should prepare the Ganesh idol from china clay or mud. Nowadays, idols are made from plaster of Paris so that they become light weight and more attractive. There is a difference between idols made from mud and plaster of Paris. There are references in the Purans (mythological texts) that Ganapati was created from grime. Hence it is appropriate to use a Ganesh idol made of mud for ritualistic worship. The pure spiritual particles (pavitraks) of Ganapati get attracted to a greater extent towards an idol made of mud than to that made of plaster of Paris. The following points shall illustrate how it is improper as well as harmful to make idols from plaster of Paris or from substances other than china clay.

Plaster of Paris does not dissolve easily in water and hence the idol floats on water after immersion. Sometimes in cities, the remains of idols which have not dissolved in water for a long period are collected and a bulldozer is run over them to convert them into mud. This amounts to extreme denigration of the deity. The deity should be offered the same reverence when immersing it as when it is invoked. Since the idol is not immersed properly, in a way it amounts to dishonouring the deity. It is beneficial if a hole is kept at a specific point on the rear side of the plaster of Paris idol so that during immersion it gets properly immersed in water within minimal time and dissolves completely.

Mixing of the plaster of Paris in water pollutes the river, sea, lake, etc. and can have an adverse effect on the health of living beings.

Nowadays a wrong trend has set in whereby idols are even made from coconuts, bananas, betulnut, silver, coins, etc. Some of these objects do not dissolve in water after immersion of the idol. The remains of such idols are used for other purposes or as toys by children.

Many idol makers get the spiritual experience of the God principle when making idols of mud rather than of plaster of Paris. The spiritual experience of an idol maker is given here as an example.

\'I made idols of plaster of Paris as well as clay for the Ganesh festival. I experienced immense Bliss (Anand) when making idols of mud. So also my repetition (chanting) of the Name of my family deity (kuladevata) was occurring continuously. I did not experience this when making plaster of Paris idols.\' - Mr. Lakshman Ahoman Chavan, P.O. Dhule,Maharashtra

eco friendly ganesh

sateeshas

Dear All,

Can any one tell me how to worship Ganapati with the right Sided trunk.

Regards,
Sateesh

sateeshas

Can any one tell me how to worship Ganapati with the right Sided trunk.

Seetaram

there\'s no such difference.
only idol manufacturers put trunk on left or right according to their wish.
Few people assume that Vallabha Ganapathi has trunk towards right side and has nectar/amrit in that pot which is holded by right twisted trunk. (but this is only an assumption and not defined anywhere)

vakratundaaya hUm is the mantra for worshipping ganapati with trunk on any side.
Ideally, left side trunk is correct and explanation for this is given above.
All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire

SaSirEkha

msrhprasad

i would like to keep 1feet ganesh idol (made with Black stone) in Lord Shiva temple near to my house.
is there any "prathistha: is required? with out prana prathistha can i keep the idol in the temple?
will devotees perform pujas to such idol?
if i keep the idol is there harm to me?

request for learned members views