As per vaastu shastra, the staircase should always be in the negative zones like South-West, South or West part of the house.
If staircase is built in North-East corner, it will lead to chronic diseases among the house members.
Also, staircase should not be in center of the house.
Do’s about staircase
- Make staircase of the house in southern or western part of the house as these directions are heavy.
- Build staircase in southeast in east, northwest in north, southwest in west and southwest in south if the staircase is external.
- Arise the stairs from the East to West or from the North to South and a turn can be taken to any other side due to paucity of space.
- Make the number of stairs odd. It should not end with zero. The number of risers should be such odd numbers that if divided by 3, the remainder is always 2.
- Paint staircase in light colors. Avoid red and black color.
- Repair broken stairs immediately otherwise it may cause accidents or mental tension due to clashes.
DON’TS for stair case
- Avoid staircase in northeast of the house and in center of the house as it will cause loss of wealth. The staircase in any other corner reduces loss.
- Do not make staircase circular as it may cause ill effects on health.
- Do not build any room such as kitchen, bathroom and ‘Pooja’ room under staircase. However it can be used for storage.
- Do not use common staircase for going upstairs and basement (cellar).
Other important tips about staircase building
- The staircases should always turn clockwise in direction when turning into the next flight.
- There should be odd number of risers in a staircase such as 15, 17, 19 etc.
- As per vaastu the circular or spiral staircase should be avoided.
- Light colours should be chosen for the area of staircase.