Vaasthu Shastra prescribes few rules for total number of doors and windows, while constructing a new house.
Even for existing house, which is bought or rented, these rules should be applied and necessary modifications should be done.
Eventhough doors and windows are for insulation purpose, maximum of them should be in north-east corner and those walls.
Doors and windows are not merely passages for insulation or for people to enter but are also gateways for positive and negative energies to come into the house. If a window is designed incorrectly in the wrong direction, it can pave way for the negative energies to come in and spell disaster for the inhabitants. Conversely, if the doors and windows are constructed in the right direction, they can bring in a lot of prosperity and luck.
This is also agreed to by Braunth Sanhita, which in one excript says : Mool Dwaaram Naanayyarabhisanthathi Roopdurya, Gatpal Patra Pramathibhishch Thanmadulau shrich nuyath
Which means, the main door of a residence must be bigger than any other door in the house.
Also, it must be more beautiful compared to the others. This helps bring in luck and prosperity.
Vaasthu Rules to be followed for total number of doors and windows :
- Maximum number of doors and windows should open in the North and East as compared to the South and West.
- The doors and windows should be in even numbers like 2, 4, 6, 8 etc. but not 10 and multiple of 8.(count doors and windows seperately) 12,14,18,20 are okay.
- When fixing the windows and doors, it is important to keep cross-ventilation in mind. Also, it’s essential to fix windows and doors opposite to one another to allow more light and air to enter.
- The main door of house should be taller than other doors. It should be of two shutters.
- Doors must never be placed at the center of a wall.
- South facing houses must have north facing entrances so that they fall at the eastern half.
- North facing houses must have north facing entrances so that they fall at the eastern half of the side.
- If you have a south or south-west facing plot, never have a door as entrance from that side. Always use east or north-east corner door to walk into the house.
- West facing houses must have their entrance towards West, to make sure the main door falls at the Northern half of the side.
- The entrance for east facing houses must be fixed towards East, to make sure the main door falls towards the Northern half of the side.
- The main gates of two houses facing each other must never open towards each other. Doors such as these are very inauspicious.
- There should not be any obstruction in front of main door like big trees; pole etc. There should not be any temple opposite to the house too.
- The doors should not be placed in center of the wall. It should be far from the centre. It should not be in extreme corner.
- For doors and windows one type of wood should be used. Teak wood is the best option for doors and windows. However, avoid neem wood for making maindoor and doorsteps or thresholds which touch our feet frequently.
- The doors and windows should be rectangular. The doors having irregular or square shapes are not auspicious. However, circular shaped ventillator can be used as exhaust in kitchen.
- The doors should not close automatically, it may affect the health of children.
- The doors should not be over size or under sized. Its size should be of ratio 2:1 in regard to height and width.
- If the door is making noise while moving, it should be repaired otherwise it can cause quarrel.
- There should not be cracked door in a house. It should be replaced as soon as possible.
- The entrance door should be well decorated with pictures and decorative pieces.
- The main entrance door of two houses opposite to each other should not be opened towards to each other.
- If there is more than one floor in a building, one door over another door should be avoided.
- Note: Any picture of God should not be hanged at outer side of the door.