Vedic Astrology has defined good and bad days for travel, based on transit of Moon in various signs and nakshatras.
So, if you are planning for a holiday or travelling for work, make sure you pick the right combination of weekday and nakshatra for a pleasurable trip.
In general, Moon in Aswini, Rohini, Mrigasira, Punarvasu, Pushyami, Magha, Hasta, Anuradha, Moola, Sravana, Dhanishta, Uttarabhadra, Revathi are considered as best nakshatra days for travel.
And, during waxing period of moon (between newmoon and fullmoon days) : 2,3,5,7,10,11,13 lunar days are considered auspicious.
Other days are discarded for long distance and business travel.
Also, suitable Ascendants (rising signs) and lunar days (tithis) have been prescribed for travel in certain directions.
These combination days can be picked for successful journey and expected results.
In case of emergencies and short distance travel (within a distance from where you can return and reach back home on same day), these rules and below table need not be considered.
Weekdays, Nakshatras, Ascendants and Lunar days (tithis) NOT suitable for Travel in particular directions
- Towards East : Lunar days 1 and 9, Monday, Saturday in weekdays, Moon in Jyeshta and Dhanishta nakshatras, Ascendants of Libra and Aquarius are not suitable.
- Towards North-East : 8th Lunar day (Ashtami) and Newmoon day, Wednesday, Gemini Ascendant are not suitable.
- Towards North : Lunar days 2 and 10, Tuesday and Wednesday in weekdays, Moon in Poorvaphalguni and Hasta nakshatras, Ascendants of Taurus and Virgo are not suitable.
- Towards North-West : 7th Lunar day (Saptami) and Fullmoon day, Sunday and Tuesday in weekdays, Aries Ascendant are not suitable.
- Towards West : Lunar days 6 and 14, Sunday and Friday in weekdays, Moon in Rohini and Pushyami nakshatras, Ascendants of Leo and Sagittarius are not suitable.
- Towards South-West : Lunar days 4 and 12, Monday and Friday in weekdays, Cancer Ascendant are not suitable.
- Towards South : Lunar days 5 and 13, Thursday in weekdays, Moon in Aswini and Sravana nakshatras, Ascendants of Scorpio and Pisces are not suitable.
- Towards South-East : Lunar days 3 and 11, Thursday and Saturday in weekdays, Capricorn Ascendant are not suitable.
Above conditions need to checked only if planning a pleasure trip liesurely.
If travel is urgent and cannot be avoided, then starting at home between 4 AM and Sunrise is best possible time to travel in any direction on anyday.
However, travelling in these combinations of weekdays and transit nakshatras of moon have been found to give accurate results and they can be experienced within the number of days (given in last colum) from the commencement of journey.
Travel check table with combination of Weekdays and Nakshatras
|Bharani||Arudra||Magha||Chitra||Jyeshta||Abhijit||P.Bhadra||Fear of Death, Accidents||27|
|P.Phalguni||Swati||Moola||Sravana||U.Bhadra||Krittika||Punarvasu||Winning heart of opposite sex||3|
|U.Phalguni||Visakha||P.Shada||Dhanishta||Revathi||Rohini||Pushyami||Gaining new friends||5|
|Hastha||Anuradha||U.Shada||Satabhisha||Aswini||Mrigasira||Aslesha||Success in work||2|
|Anuradha||U.Shada||Satabhisha||Aswini||Mrigasira||Aslesha||Hastha||Fear of Death, Accidents||10|
|Satabhisha||Aswini||Mrigasira||Aslesha||Hastha||Anuradha||U.Shada||Disputes with Friends||9|
Abhijit (Meaning : Victorious, One who cannot be defeated) is the Sanskrit name for Vega, starts from 06° 40′ to 10° 53′ 20 in sidereal Capricorn i.e. from the last quarter of nakshatra Uttara Ashādhā to first 1/15 th part of Shravana.
It is not a regular nakshatra with four padas or quarters, it serves as an intercalary asterism most of the times. It is not mentioned as frequently as other asterisms in mythology.
Moon or Chandra is said to have 27 (not 28) wives with whom he stays for one day in a sidereal lunar month. Each of the 27 asterisms is feminine, only Abhijit is masculine.
Moon transiting in Abhijit Nakshatra is an auspicious time according to the Hindu Calendar.
Abhijit Star fell from pole position in about 16000 BC. That was the period of rains when the Sun was in Dhanishthaa. Thus, the year started with Varshaa (rains), so year was called Varsh.
Legend : P.Phalguni : Poorvaphalguni, U.Phalguni : Uttaraphalguni, P.Shada : Poorvashada, U.Shada : Uttarashada, P.Bhadra : Poorvabhadra, U.Bhadra : Uttarabhadra.
NOTE : Vedic weekday starts from sunrise and one needs to look at moon’s nakshatra at exact time of start of travel.
For example : If you are travelling at 6:05 AM on wednesday, moon was in Hastha nakshatra till 6:25 AM and local sunrise time was 6:20 AM, then you need to consider that Your travel started on tuesday under Hastha nakshatra and result would be Comforts.
But if you started at 6:21 AM, then it would be combination of wednesday and Hastha nakshatra and your result will be Happy, Victory.
And if your journey starts at 6:26 AM on same day, then it would be combination of wednesday and Chitra nakshatra and result will be Fear of Death, Accidents.