Psoriasis is an autoimmune chronic disorder of the skin results in hyper proliferation of the skin. Usual symptoms are dry skin, raised, rough, red areas on the skin covered with fine silvery or dark scales. Psoriasis is non-infectious and is often seen in people between 15 to 40 yrs of age.
Between 10% and 30% of people who develop psoriasis get a related form of arthritis called “psoriatic arthritis,” which causes inflammation of the joints.
Psoriais affected people suffer from restricted movement in their joints, and emotional distress and cracked skin. The disease may also affect the fingernails, the toenails, and the soft tissues inside the mouth and genitalia.
Different types of psoriasis are :
Plaque psoriasis – Patches of raised, reddish skin covered by silvery-white scale.
Psoriatic arthritis – Which causes inflammation of the joints.
Guttate psoriasis – Small, red spots on the skin.
Pustular psoriasis – White pustules surrounded by red skin.
Inverse psoriasis – Smooth, red lesions form in skin folds.
Erythrodermic psoriasis – widespread redness, severe itching, and pain.
In Ayurveda, these may be correlated with Eka-kushta, Kitibha-kushta and Sidma-kushta.
Psoriasis is aggravated by injury or irritation (cuts, burns, rash, insect bites). Medications (beta-blockers, used to treat high blood pressure, and lithium or other drugs used to treat depression), viral or bacterial infections, excessive alcohol consumption, obesity, lack of sunlight, overexposure to sunlight (sunburn), stress, cold climate, and frequent friction on the skin are also associated with flare-ups of psoriasis.
Ayurvedic treatment for psoriasis includes a strict diet regimen and drug therapy. These are often combined with panchakarma procedures that cleanse the body.
Precautions to control Psoriasis
- Stop consuming fats, animal protein, sugars and also lessen quanity of food.
- Quit alchohol completely as it can aggreviate psoriasis.
- Sit under sunlight during morning hours for few minutes and expose psoriasis effected skin to sunlight and Vitamin D.
- Try to live in a moderate, warm climate. Avoid Airconditioners.
- Salt-water bath and applying moisturizer can help remove flakes slowly.
- Apply warm olive or sesame oil to skin 30 minutes before bath. Regular massage with these oils can help reduce itchiness and pain.
- Moderate bicycling is good for knees and ankles. Jogging or running can be counter-productive because it puts stress on the knees and hips. One can get the same benefits with a fast walk. In inflamed and immobile joints, the regimen includes simple stretching exercises.
- Swimming in warm water (during afternoons in oceans) can help.
Home Made, Natural Home Treatment for Psoriasis in Ayurveda
- Eat thin slices of onions, fried in ghee.
- Apply diluted lime juice, externally on effected parts of skin.
- Tie a fresh thin banana leaf on the affected area for 60 minutes before bath.
- Powder few almonds and boil thoroughly in water. Apply this paste on affected areas and let it remain overnight. Next morning, wash it off with water.
- Boil 1 teaspoonful sandalwood powder in three cups water until it is reduced to one cup. Add a little rose water and sugar and take thrice a day.
- Grind cleaned grass (Doob) without the roots and turmeric in 4:1 ratio into a fine paste and apply on the affected areas.
- Grind a handful of fresh jasmine flowers and apply the paste on the affected areas.
- Boil one teaspoonful powdered soap pod (shikakai) in one-cup water. Cool and apply on the affected parts.
- Drink fresh cabbage juice (1/2 cup) everyday, which will ensure faster recovery.
- Mix 250 ml of bitter gourd juice with 1 spoon lime juice and have in on empty stomach every morning for 6 months.
- Garjan oil, obtained from the Garjan tree (Dipterocarpus alatus), made into an emulsion by adding equal quantity of limewater is applied on the affected skin.
- Add 2 tablespoons baking soda to 1 bowl water. Soak a towel in this mixture, wring it out and apply on the skin as a compress.
- Capsaicin, derived from hot peppers, works on redness, scaling and itching. Mahaamarichyadi taila, an ayurvedic oil, contains pepper as one of the ingredients.
- Kushtaraakshasa taila, kitibhaari malahara etc. are specific applications for psoriasis. They remove the scaling of the skin and provide soothing effect.
- Internally, Pancha tikta ghrita guggul about 5-10 gm with Mahaa Manjistaadi kwaatha every morning & evening for 6 weeks are to be used. Mahaa tikta ghritam can also be used in similar lines.
These home remedies for Psoriasis are only for those who have no other complications.
If you have other skin diseases or liver or digestive system related complications, it is suggested to get specific treatmen from a qualified Ayurvedic physician.