Author Topic: Difference between Solar Calendar and Lunar Calendar  (Read 36763 times)

Seetaram

Difference between Solar Calendar and Lunar Calendar
« on: April 13, 2012, 10:58:50 AM »

gaurang, can you find reasons why tamilians use solar calender when others use lunar ?
and why vaakhya panchangam has so much variation from other panchangs

Linkback: https://www.astrogle.com/forums/astrology-discussions/3/difference-between-solar-calendar-lunar-calendar/1756/
All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire

Astrology Forums

« Reply #1 on: Today at 05:58:33 PM »

gauranggroups

Mr.Seetaram,

I dunno the exact reason for that. But not only Tamilians, but also Malayalees do celebrate their New Year \"Vishu\" on the very same day. The reason for that is that\'s the day Sun enters Aries in Zodiac.

Regarding Panchangam, there are many Panchangams being used by both Tamils and Malayalees. One such is Vaakya Panchangam. The variation is due to the Ayanamsa followed. Vaakya Panchangam follows Lahiri Ayanamsa.

The same question I\'ve asked as a doubt exactly a year back, when I hadn\'t even purchased \"KP 6 Readers\" and didn\'t have any knowledge about KP Astrology. SasiRekha explained me then about this. https://www.astrogle.com/forums/index.php?topic=1279#pid8513

If u have anything else to share, share it. We\'ll learn from that too.
Thanks & Regards,
Gaurang

Whoever you are & whatever you do, if your attitude is not good you are just 'Nothing'.

Varenya

according to vaakya panchangam, sani entered thula rasi in december.
but by lahiri ayanamsa it entered 1 month earlier

LEO

yes i\'ve also noticed this huge diff

gauranggroups

Oh! Come one Guys, this thread is only for Greetings and Wishes.. Why are u guys raising up a debate over here? If u wanna discuss the technical aspects of Ayanamsas and Panchangams, why can\'t u open up a new thread in \"Astrology Discussions\" section and discuss? I\'ll also take part in it..

gauranggroups

Mr.Seetaram,

You asked me this question once. I didn\'t know the technical answer then. I\'ve got it now.

The Souramana Varsha (Solar Calendar) which is followed by Tamils and Malayalees, is the most accurate Calendar available as it consists of 365.25 days a year which is exact. There are no additions or subtractions of any days / months as per that calendar.

Even the Gregorian Calendar (English Calendar) what we are following today, is having only 365 days a year. So to adjust that 0.25 days a year, we are having a leap year once in 4 years.

Whereas Chandramana Varsha (Lunar Calendar) followed by other state people is having only 354 days a year. So they\'ll have a shortage of 11 days a year. To compensate that, they\'ll add up 1 month itself (Adhika Masa) once in 3 years.

So the Solar Calendar is the most accurate Calendar available and one should follow the festivals and events according to that only. Even in KP, we are following that only. That\'s why Chaithra month is starting in the mid of April when Sun enters Aries.

There\'s no direct proportionality between the Calendar System and Panchangam System. Vaakya panchangam is not the only Panchangam available in Tamil Nadu. Drik Panchangam is also found and used by the people of Tamil Nadu. People are using according to their wish. KP is using this Drik Siddhanta only and hence it\'s more accurate.

[rquote=12494&topic=1457&author=Seetaram]gaurang, can you find reasons why tamilians use solar calender when others use lunar ?
and why vaakhya panchangam has so much variation from other panchangs[/rquote]

Astrology Forums

« Reply #6 on: Today at 05:58:33 PM »

Bhavani

solar calender with 360 degrees solar years is what most of k.p astrologers use for determining timing of vimsottari dasas. (see your setting in Jhora)
its not 365.2425 days year .

festivals are celebrated based on tithi (except makar sankranti), for which only lunar calender is useful. (few celebrate based on moon\'s transit in particular nakshatra, and for that too lunar transit is only used).

mixing up of drik siddhantha with solar calender is done in vaakya panchangam.
determining ayanamsa is different from calender calculation.

if vaakya is accurate, then saturn entered thula around 24 dec 2011 but not on 14 nov 2011.
In that case k.p ayanamsa must be wrong and should not be followed even for minute events like t20 cricket and soccer matches. (where its already proved that k.p is accurate)

i think tamilians mixed up earth movement w.r.t sun with relative transits of other planets w.r.t earth and made a kichidi panchangam.
they both are entirely different and should not be mixed

gauranggroups

:mad:Habbbaaa!:mad:

Bhavani, I dunno whether you didn\'t understand what I\'ve said or anything else. I have clearly spoken only about the Calendar system. I haven\'t spoken anything about Astrology methods or Panchangams. What I said is Vaakya Panchangam and Solar Calendar are not same. I have never said anywhere that Vaakya Panchangam is accurate. I myself is using KP system only.

Vaakya Panchangam is not based on Drik siddhanta mixed up with Solar Calendar. Vaakya siddhanta itself is a separate siddhanta. \'Vaakya\' means \'Sentence\'. It\'s siddhanta followed based on a \'Sentences\' of formula. Over a period of time, there\'ll be some changes in the movement of each and every planet. For eg., Moon\'s movement will get totally changed once in 72 years. They\'ve to observe it and make changes. But Vaakya Panchangam people haven\'t made any adjustments in their formula for the past 1500 years or so. That\'s why, there are lots of differences in the Transits.

Drik Siddhanta / Ganitha is a method which is more scientific. \'Drik\' means \'To See\' and \'Ganitha\' means \' Calculations\'. This literally means \'See and Calculate\'. This is a more precise and proven method. This panchangam is also based on Solar Calendar only. This is the same siddhanta we are using in KP also. That\'s why KP is more accurate.

You\'ve quoted as if I have said Vaakya Panchangam is right. Where did I say so? I have never said that. In fact, I\'ve said many times that after coming to this site, I\'m purely following KP only. So simply don\'t use the repeated statements like \"In that case k.p ayanamsa must be wrong and should not be followed even for minute events like t20 cricket and soccer matches\". I know this and I\'m also following that only.

Also I wonder why are you bringing Vimshottari Dasa system and all inside this. Nobody denied it. What I spoke about is only about the Calendar system. Solar Calendar is more accurate than Lunar Calendar. If you dunno this, ask someone who knows this technically. They\'ll explain you this. Every year should have 12 months only. In Lunar Calendar, they\'re having 13 months once in 3 years. Why? Go and ask someone, they\'ll explain you.

Also don\'t speak ill about a particular language people. KP system was also formulated by a Tamilian only. Drik Ganitha was also formulated by Tamilians only like Vaakya Panchangam. Vaakya Panchangam was the first and foremost Panchangam and hence some shortcomings are there as usual. It\'s developed version is the Drik Ganitha Panchangam. So don\'t make a mockery unnecessarily.

It\'s always better to read and understand fully before making any vague statements or making mockery of others. By doing this, we can avoid many controversies. Hope everyone will follow this henceforth.

Varenya

[rquote=13996&topic=1457&author=gauranggroups]I didn\'t know the technical answer then. I\'ve got it now.

The Souramana Varsha (Solar Calendar) which is followed by Tamils and Malayalees, is the most accurate Calendar available as it consists of 365.25 days a year which is exact.

So the Solar Calendar is the most accurate Calendar available and one should follow the festivals and events according to that only. Even in KP, we are following that only. That\'s why Chaithra month is starting in the mid of April when Sun enters Aries.

There\'s no direct proportionality between the Calendar System and Panchangam System. Vaakya panchangam is not the only Panchangam available in Tamil Nadu. Drik Panchangam is also found and used by the people of Tamil Nadu. People are using according to their wish. KP is using this Drik Siddhanta only and hence it\'s more accurate.
[/rquote]

you made too many contradictory statements dude !
as bhavani said, only sankranti is celebrated based on sun\'s transit.
rest all festivals all based on tithis (moon\'s transit w.r.t sun)
like vijayadasami, vinyaka chaviti, diwali(amavasya), ram navami, krishnashtami etc.

in KP we use 360 degrees solar years calender, not 365.2425 days year.
Also when we already proved to ourselves that k.p is most accurate now, whats the point in still following outdated and proofless panchangs ?

applying solar calender to calculate planets transit(position) w.r.t earth is wrong method and thats why vakya panchang gives wrong dates for planetary transits. (thats why we had this debate of when saturn entered libra last yr)

for calculating planets positions w.r.t earth, we take their real position w.r.t earth and subtract ayanamsa for that year.
this is how we derived k.p ephemeris.

in western astro, they say all those born between dec 22 - jan 21 are capricorns.
but in reality sun always doesnt stay in capricorn during those days.
those old formats should now be ignored

gauranggroups

Varenya Dear,

I dunno why you guys are confusing Solar Calendar and Vaakya Panchangam. Vaakya Panchangam may be out-dated. But Solar Calendar isn\'t. Try to understand that. Drik Ganitha is also based on Solar Calendar only. Even our KP system is based on that only.

Three types of Siddhantas are there for Panchangam calculations. They\'re Vaakya Siddhanta, Surya Siddhanta and Drik Ganitha Siddhanta. All these siddhantas are following Solar Calendar only in Tamil Nadu. Please try to understand that there is no connection between Surya Siddhanta and Souraman Varsha (Solar Calendar).

Calendar is only for the calculation of the start / end of Months and Years. Siddhantas are used to calculate the transits of Planets. In Tamil Nadu and Kerala, people are following Drik Ganitha Panchangam with KP ephemeris based on Solar Calendar.

Even in Solar Calendar, the same Moon Transits and thithis are followed. Same Waxing Moon periods and Waning Moon periods, same 15 Thithis and everything is same. Only the Month starting and year starting is based on Sun Transits called as Sankaramana.

The festivals based on thithis will be celebrated on the same day in Tamil Nadu also as in other States. The difference will occur only for the festivals related with days / dates. For eg., Makara Sankaranthi will be celebrated on Thai Month 1st day.  Ugadi will be celebrated on Chaitra Month 1st day. Aashada Month 18th Day, a famous festival will be celebrated with respect to Water / River. The differences will be there only.

During Ugadi, Mr.Seetaram asked about the difference between Solar and Lunar Calendars. I didn\'t know the difference then. I made it a point to learn the difference. If some of the Seniors are questioning something, we should try to find answers for that. Then only we can learn something. That\'s why I tried. Nothing else.

So it\'s basically only about the Calendar. I\'m in no way endorsing Vaakya Panchangam. I myself is not following Vaakya Panchangam any more. I\'m purely following KP system only. So try to understand that, mate!

Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via telegram Share via twitter