Author Topic: Tender Tamarind leaves Dal - tasty and nutritious  (Read 5070 times)

Anoo

Tender Tamarind leaves Dal - tasty and nutritious
« on: January 11, 2011, 11:53:26 AM »

Prep & Cooking: 30-35 mts

Serves 4-5 persons

Cuisine: Andhra

Ingredients:

1 cup chinta chiguru (tender tamarind leaves)- remove the leaves from the stalks

1/2 cup split yellow moong dal ) OR tur dal/red gram lentil

1 small onion finely chopped

4-5 green chillis (slit length-wise) adjust to suit your spice level

pinch of turmeric powder

salt to taste

Tempering/Seasoning/Tadka:

1 tsp oil

3/4 tsp mustard seeds

¾ tsp cumin seeds

5-6 garlic pods or pinch of asafoetida

2-3 dry red chillis ,de-seed and tear into two

10-12 curry leaves

Procedure :

1 Wash the split yellow moong dal. Add 1 1/2 cups of water, turmeric, onion and green chillis to the washed dal and let it cook till half done, i.e the dal should be half cooked.

2 Slightly crush the tender tamarind leaves with your hand and add to the half cooked dal. Cover and cook on low heat till the leaves and dal are fully cooked and soft.

3 Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter, add the cumin seeds, dry red chillis, garlic, curry leaves and fry for a few seconds till you find the flavor of the spices fill your kitchen.

4 Add this tempering and salt to the cooked dal-tender leaves mixture, combine and cook for a minute. Turn off heat and leave covered for a few minutes before serving.

5 Serve with hot steamed rice, ghee, pickle of choice and papad .

NOTE : - If you are cooking with tur dal or red gram lentil, add 2 cups of water to half a cup of dal and pressure cook it along with turmeric, onion and green chillis. When cooked, mash it well and add the crushed tender tamarind leaves and follow the above procedure.
Another method you can do is to do the tempering/seasoning first and add the onions, green chillis, dal and turmeric pwd and combine for a few seconds. Add water and let it cook till the dal is half done and then add the crushed tender leaves and salt and cook till done.  

Linkback: https://www.astrogle.com/forums/fitness-general-well-being-home-decor/35/tender-tamarind-leaves-dal-tasty-nutritious/1141/

Astrology Forums

« Reply #1 on: Today at 10:47:35 AM »

Ranjana

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 12:25:28 PM »
look yummy :punk::lol:
will definitely try this
but i think we get those leaves only in spring, not winter

LEO

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 08:16:22 PM »
yummy !!!!!!:kiss::kiss::kiss:
reminded me of my mom\'s cooking in my childhood :blush:

Sushma

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 06:32:37 PM »
i love this dish :)
picture itself is mouth watering

pallavi

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 11:10:23 PM »
wow i tried this dish on this sunday and everyone liked it at home :)
thanks anoo
its tasty and also looks good for health

Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via telegram Share via twitter