Some Very Powerful Philosophical Quotes

Started by orangeprince, May 20, 2011, 11:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeprince

There are risks in every action. Every success has the seed of some failure. But it doesn\'t matter. It is how you go about it. That is the real challenge.

~Ela Bhatt (1933- ), founder of the Self-Employed Women\'s Association of India (SEWA); lawyer, leader of the international labor, cooperative, women, and micro-finance movements
Can I, as a human being, lead a different kind of life?

orangeprince

In the whirlpool of fleeting sensual pleasures you have forgotten the purpose of life andgoal. You live more for the body than for the soul. In your pursuit after the phantom shows ofworldly vanities, you have annihilated the spiritual instincts and longings of the soul. What a sadstate! Mysterious is Maya! Mysterious is Moha! Open your eyes now. Wake up from the longslumber of ignorance. Realise the ultimate Reality and enjoy eternal bliss. Pathanjali (yoga sutras)

orangeprince

All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him, If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.- Buddha

orangeprince

Questioner: Why do we worship God?

Krishnamurti: I am afraid we don\'t worship God. Don\'t laugh. You see, we don\'t love God; if we did love God, there would not be this thing we call worship. We worship God because we are frightened of him; there is fear in our hearts, not love. The temple, the puja, the sacred thread - these things are not of God, they are the creations of man\'s vanity and fear. It is only the unhappy, the frightened who worship God. Those who have wealth, position and authority are not happy people. An ambitious man is a most unhappy human being. Happiness comes only when you are free of all that - and then you do not worship God. It is the miserable, the tortured, those who are in despair that crawl to a temple; but if they put aside this so-called worship and understand their misery, then they will be happy men and women, for they will discover what truth is, what God is. ...

orangeprince

\"It is very simple to be happy, but it is very difficult to be simple.\"
— Rabindranath Tagore

orangeprince

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

~Basho (1644 –1694), the most famous poet of the Edo period in Japan

orangeprince

What kind of world is this that can send machines to Mars and does nothing to stop the killing of a human being?

~José de Sousa Saramago (1922–2010), Nobel-laureate Portuguese novelist, poet, playwright and journalist

orangeprince

The wound is the place where the Light enters you.

~Rumi (1207–1273), 13th-century Persian Muslim poet, jurist, theologian, and Sufi mystic

orangeprince

\"If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?\"

~Rumi (1207–1273), 13th-century Persian Muslim poet, jurist, theologian, and Sufi mystic

orangeprince

It is impossible to escape the impression that people commonly use false standards of measurement -- that they seek power, success and wealth for themselves and admire them in others, and that they underestimate what is of true value in life

Sigmund Freud (6 May 1856 – 23 September 1939), was an Austrian neurologist who founded the discipline of psychoanalysis.