News:

New Board installed at https://www.astrogle.com/talks/
Old forums archived from 16 October 2021

Main Menu New Forums Installed, Old Forums Archived ...

Social Networking Sites

Started by Sharmila, June 29, 2009, 07:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vhk

i heard that companies keep track of their employees in such sites(facebook,orkut).one person lost his job when he  said he was ill & culdnt cum for an imp meeting but he posted pics of his holidaying with frnds in his profile which was tracked  & he had no answer for that wen questiond so he lost his job

hitarth18

hmmm rite...

Twitter is one more curse that ways.... :D

Lalit Modi lost his post in IPL... Kevin Peterson also posted something that was not right thing to do before team for ODIs were declared etc..:)

!! Wish Change Nothing, Decision Change Everything !!

gauranggroups

But it\'s helpful for few people. I\'ve got in touch with lots of my old friends whom I\'ve lost in touch in between. So in that way, it\'s really helpful. Also everyone won\'t be having yahoo ID and hence yahoo groups is also not feasible for everyone. Hence to share info and pics between a groups of friends, this will be useful. If u use in occasionally, it won\'t get bored.

Anyway, it depends on people to people..
Thanks & Regards,
Gaurang

Whoever you are & whatever you do, if your attitude is not good you are just 'Nothing'.

orangeprince

well i enjoy Facebook as i can see updates from my friends.I also debate and discuss philosophical things with people from diff countries and its amazing i must say.It all depends on how one uses it and the perception.Don\'t go by what others say it should be according to ones comfort and needs.
Can I, as a human being, lead a different kind of life?

Sujay

Social networking sites will kill the society itself. Social networking sites are one major factor for increase in immoral, illegal discussions. All these websites have different communities but they speak only of love and dating. Orkut has thousands of communities in it. Most of these communities dont discuss about the matter, instead its all unnecessary distractions for youngsters. This has a huge impact on teenagers and it is waste of time, money and energy.
If this trend goes on then next generation will not know the real meaning of social networking. Instead they will curse them bcoz social networking will be restricted to websites only.

Varenya

Almost every user likes to share everything on their Facebook page but certain updates can lead to criticism, embarrassment and even job termination.

So here\'s a shortlist of what you shouldn\'t share on the social networking site, reports CBS news.

1.That your job sucks.

If you say this, you could be fired.

2.That you hate your ex.

In the event that you and your boyfriend get back together, or you and that friend you had a falling out with start talking again, you\'ll look like a total sucker. It\'s okay to let your emotions govern your thoughts but keep your feelings off your Facebook until you\'ve started to think clearly about said ex.

The important thing to remember about social networks is that although you have the option to delete your comments, sometimes it can be too late. It\'s immediate and someone might\'ve laid eyes on it before your retraction.

3.That you\'re going on vacation and then give the dates you\'re away.

You could be robbed. A recent study found that thieves scan social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter for folks in targeted neighbourhoods before they strike.

4.That you love yourself.

In fact, don\'t give any indication that you\'re your biggest fan. Your followers will only think the opposite. It\'s the biggest barometer of insecurity. Researchers at the University at Buffalo also found that women who base their self-worth on appearance and what people think of them tend to upload pictures very frequently.

5.That you\'re mean.

Saying mean things about people can only make you undesirable-for potential employers, dates, friends and strangers.

Ravi Varma

these orkuts, facebooks, google+, stumbleupon etc have killed the idea of message/bulletin boards on sites.
you see lesser participation in boards like this which do not have integrated logins with facebook, twitter etc.

if message boards want to survive, they shud be able to integrate with all social n/w sites because ppl dont have patience to create accounts in all sites they visit

pallavi

yes. even this forum doesnt have too many registrations like any other forum these days.
most of the blame goes to facebook/orkut and new google+
also this site is for people who are serious about knowing and understanding astro, so we wont find too many ppl joining in.

but still i feel this forum software is outdated and needs a revamp.
atleast common logins into this forum with facebook/google/openID accounts would help to some extent

Star Dust

An Australian technologist has claimed that Facebook can track the web pages you visit, even when you are logged out of the social networking giant.According to Wollongong-based Nik Cubrilovic, when the user is logged out of Facebook, rather than deleting its tracking cookies, the site merely modifies them, maintaining account information and other unique tokens that can be used to identify its users.
This simply means that any time you visit a web page with a Facebook button or widget, your browser is still sending personally identifiable information back to Facebook.
"Even if you are logged out, Facebook still knows and can track every page you visit," Cubrilovic wrote in a blog post.
"The only solution is to delete every Facebook cookie in your browser, or to use a separate browser for Facebook interactions," he added.
Cubrilovic said he tried to contact Facebook to inform it of his discovery but did not get a reply, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
He said there were significant risks to the privacy of users, particularly those using public terminals to access Facebook.
"Facebook are front-and-centre in the new privacy debate just as Microsoft were with security issues a decade ago," Cubrilovic said.
"The question is what it will take for Facebook to address privacy issues and to give their users the tools required to manage their privacy and to implement clear policies - not pages and pages of confusing legal documentation, and 'logout' not really meaning 'logout'," he added
In a day..when u dont come across any problems... you can be sure that you are traveling in wrong path - SWAMI VIVEKANANDA