Astrology Forums

HEALING, MEDITATION AND SPIRITUALITY => Philosophy => Topic started by: orangeprince on May 20, 2011, 11:02:51 AM

Title: Some Very Powerful Philosophical Quotes
Post by: orangeprince on May 20, 2011, 11:02:51 AM
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

~Nietzsche (1844 –1900), 19th-century German philosopher, poet and classical philologist
Post by: Seetaram on May 20, 2011, 04:12:04 PM
i think Nietzsche or George Bernard Shaw got rejected by Annie Besant and later they started dark philosophy, while Annie met swami vivekananda
Post by: orangeprince on May 20, 2011, 09:26:19 PM
We know how to organize warfare, but do we know how to act when confronted with peace?

~Jacques-Yves Cousteau (1910 -1997), French naval officer, explorer, ecologist, filmmaker, innovator, scientist, photographer, author and researcher
Post by: orangeprince on May 21, 2011, 05:31:50 PM
Now we are all sons of bitches.

~Kenneth Bainbridge, physicist, on the occasion of the Trinity atomic bomb test (7/16/45) (1904–1996), American physicist; director of the Trinity test of the Manhattan Project,
Post by: orangeprince on May 22, 2011, 10:54:35 PM
All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it

~Mark Twain (1835–1910), American author and humorist
Post by: orangeprince on May 23, 2011, 09:44:20 PM
Peace is your natural state. It is the mind that obstructs the natural state. - Ramana Maharshi
Post by: orangeprince on May 25, 2011, 02:01:35 PM
I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.

~ Kahlil Gibran (1883–1931), Lebanese American artist, poet, and write
Post by: orangeprince on May 25, 2011, 02:02:03 PM
When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail.

~Abraham Maslow (1908 – 1970), American professor of psychology; founded humanistic psychology and created Maslow\'s hierarchy of needs
Post by: orangeprince on May 26, 2011, 07:56:21 AM
Religion, as it is generally taught all over
the world, is said to be based on faith and belief, and, in
most cases, consists only of different sets of theories, and
that is the reason why we find all these various religions
quarreling with each other.These theories, again, are based
on belief.One man says there is a great Being sitting above
the clouds and governing the whole universe, and he asks
me to believe that, solely on the authority of his assertion. In
the same way I may have my own ideas, which I am asking
others to believe, and if they ask a reason, I cannot supply
them with any. This is why religion and metaphysical
philosophy have a bad name nowadays. Every educated
man seems to say: “Oh, these religions are only bundles of theories without any standard to judge them by, each man
preaching his own pet ideas.” At the same time I must tell
you that there is a basis of universal belief in religion,
governing all these different theories, and all the varying
ideas of different sects of men in different countries. Going
to the basis of them we find that they also are based upon
universal experiences.
In the first place I will ask you to analyse all the various
religions of the world. You will find that these are divided
into two classes, those with a book, and those without a
book. Those with a book are the strongest, and have the
largest number of followers. Those without books have
mostly died out, and the few new ones have very small
followings. Yet, in all of them we find one consensus of
opinion, that the truths they teach are the results of the
experiences of particular persons. The Christian asks you to
believe in his religion, to believe in Christ, and to believe in
Him as the incarnation of God, to believe in a God, in a soul,
and in a better state of that soul. If I ask him for reasons he
says, “No, it is my belief.” But if you go to the fountain
head of Christianity you will find that it is based upon
experience. Christ said He saw God; the disciples said they
felt God; and so forth. Similarly, in Buddhism, it is
Buddha’s experience—He experienced certain truths, saw
them, came in contact with them, and preached them to the
world. So with the Hindus—in their book the writers, who
are called Rishis, or sages, declare that they have
experienced certain truths, and these they preach. Thus it is
clear that all the religions of the world have been built upon
that one universal and adamantine foundation of all our
knowledge—direct experience. The teachers all saw God;
they all saw their own souls, they saw their eternity, they
saw their future, and they saw what they preached. - Swami Vivekananda
Post by: orangeprince on May 27, 2011, 07:40:46 AM
First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.

~Epictetus ( 55–135), Greek sage and Stoic philosopher
Post by: orangeprince on May 27, 2011, 10:58:06 PM
There are risks in every action. Every success has the seed of some failure. But it doesn\'t matter. It is how you go about it. That is the real challenge.

~Ela Bhatt (1933- ), founder of the Self-Employed Women\'s Association of India (SEWA); lawyer, leader of the international labor, cooperative, women, and micro-finance movements
Post by: orangeprince on June 01, 2011, 05:39:49 PM
In the whirlpool of fleeting sensual pleasures you have forgotten the purpose of life andgoal. You live more for the body than for the soul. In your pursuit after the phantom shows ofworldly vanities, you have annihilated the spiritual instincts and longings of the soul. What a sadstate! Mysterious is Maya! Mysterious is Moha! Open your eyes now. Wake up from the longslumber of ignorance. Realise the ultimate Reality and enjoy eternal bliss. Pathanjali (yoga sutras)
Post by: orangeprince on June 02, 2011, 03:08:02 PM
All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him, If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.- Buddha
Post by: orangeprince on June 04, 2011, 12:27:21 AM
Questioner: Why do we worship God?

Krishnamurti: I am afraid we don\'t worship God. Don\'t laugh. You see, we don\'t love God; if we did love God, there would not be this thing we call worship. We worship God because we are frightened of him; there is fear in our hearts, not love. The temple, the puja, the sacred thread - these things are not of God, they are the creations of man\'s vanity and fear. It is only the unhappy, the frightened who worship God. Those who have wealth, position and authority are not happy people. An ambitious man is a most unhappy human being. Happiness comes only when you are free of all that - and then you do not worship God. It is the miserable, the tortured, those who are in despair that crawl to a temple; but if they put aside this so-called worship and understand their misery, then they will be happy men and women, for they will discover what truth is, what God is. ...
Post by: orangeprince on June 10, 2011, 05:46:51 PM
\"It is very simple to be happy, but it is very difficult to be simple.\"
— Rabindranath Tagore
Post by: orangeprince on June 17, 2011, 09:48:28 PM
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

~Basho (1644 –1694), the most famous poet of the Edo period in Japan
Post by: orangeprince on June 19, 2011, 02:25:42 PM
What kind of world is this that can send machines to Mars and does nothing to stop the killing of a human being?

~José de Sousa Saramago (1922–2010), Nobel-laureate Portuguese novelist, poet, playwright and journalist
Post by: orangeprince on June 28, 2011, 02:13:09 AM
The wound is the place where the Light enters you.

~Rumi (1207–1273), 13th-century Persian Muslim poet, jurist, theologian, and Sufi mystic
Post by: orangeprince on June 29, 2011, 02:10:44 AM
\"If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?\"

~Rumi (1207–1273), 13th-century Persian Muslim poet, jurist, theologian, and Sufi mystic
Post by: orangeprince on July 07, 2011, 08:54:16 AM
It is impossible to escape the impression that people commonly use false standards of measurement -- that they seek power, success and wealth for themselves and admire them in others, and that they underestimate what is of true value in life

Sigmund Freud (6 May 1856 – 23 September 1939), was an Austrian neurologist who founded the discipline of psychoanalysis.
Post by: orangeprince on July 09, 2011, 12:04:50 PM

“Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.”

Albert Einstein
Post by: orangeprince on July 10, 2011, 11:16:28 AM
Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.

~André Gide (1869 –1951), French author and winner of the Nobel Prize in literature in 1947
Post by: orangeprince on July 28, 2011, 01:02:18 PM
Criticism is something you can easily avoid by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.

~Aristotle (384-322 BCE), Greek philosopher, a student of Plato and teacher of Alexander the Great; writings cover physics, metaphysics, poetry, theater, music, logic, rhetoric, linguistics, politics, government, ethics, biology, and zoology.
Post by: gauranggroups on July 29, 2011, 02:01:06 AM
Anil,

Nobody is responding this thread. Why are you continuing this?
Post by: aastha93 on July 29, 2011, 02:47:31 AM
This thread is not supposed to be responded to.
Just read and derive a \"self-version\" meaning out of words of the wise men. :)
Post by: orangeprince on July 29, 2011, 01:55:57 PM
This thread is not for people commending me and this is not for personal gratification this thread would continue as long as i find meaningful quotes and once again am not looking for any responses:)
Post by: orangeprince on July 31, 2011, 11:39:42 AM
Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.

~Japanese Proverb
Post by: orangeprince on July 31, 2011, 11:42:13 AM
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.

~Buddha (5th century BCE) spiritual teacher from ancient India who founded Buddhism
Post by: orangeprince on August 01, 2011, 08:10:50 AM
If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there. You must go beyond them.

~Bruce Lee (1940–1973), Chinese American, Hong Kong actor, martial arts instructor , philosopher, film director, film producer, screenwriter, and founder of the Jeet Kune Do martial arts movement
Post by: orangeprince on August 01, 2011, 08:32:55 PM
Live without pretending,
love without depending,
listen without defending,
speak without offending.

- Unknown
Post by: chkasarma on September 22, 2011, 05:19:25 AM
Who does this body belong to?
Does it belong to my parents who created it?
Or does it belong to my wife who is my life partner?
Is it fuel for the fire that is ultimately going to consume it?
or is it food for vultures and wolves?
Does it belong to me, or to my near and dear ones?

~~ Bhagavata Purana 11.26.19
Post by: chkasarma on September 22, 2011, 05:25:22 AM
Thank you Orangeprince for sharing such wonderful quotes :)
Post by: life9+ on September 22, 2011, 02:24:20 PM
 " Stop running after a buss...train...or a girlfriend or boyfriend. one will go; second will come."  ;)

life9+  ;)
Post by: chkasarma on September 22, 2011, 03:55:45 PM
Lol @ life...Hilarious... :P
Post by: orangeprince on October 27, 2011, 12:46:03 AM
“Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.”
? Mahatma Gandhi
Post by: orangeprince on October 29, 2011, 12:11:43 AM
If you lose touch with nature you lose touch with humanity. If there's no relationship with nature then you become a killer; then you kill baby seals, whales, dolphins, and man either for gain, for sport, for food, or for knowledge. Then nature is frightened of you, withdrawing its beauty. You may take long walks in the woods or camp in lovely places but you are a killer and so lose their friendship. You probably are not related to anything to your wife or your husband.- J.Krishnamurti.
Post by: orangeprince on November 04, 2011, 01:26:42 AM
A man should look for what is,
and not for what he thinks should be.
- Albert Einstein
Post by: Nivedita on November 05, 2011, 11:30:22 AM
" Stop running after a buss...train...or a girlfriend or boyfriend. one will go; second will come."  ;)

lol :) life is like a round circle(or rather a spiral).
if you just wait at your place, something else will come up in next spiral of time

life9+  ;)
Post by: gauranggroups on November 05, 2011, 10:14:14 PM
Anil,

You were doing a nice thing only by giving some good quotes. But nobody was going thru this and nobody was responding this. That's why I questioned the existence of this thread thinking that few people will come to your support, resulting with some response atleast. It has worked out to some extent. Many people started participating in this and this thread has got life now.

There won't be any interest if only a single player is playing a game. Many people started joining now and hence it'll be more interesting hereafter. Keep doing the good work, man. All the Best!

This thread is not for people commending me and this is not for personal gratification this thread would continue as long as i find meaningful quotes and once again am not looking for any responses:)
Post by: orangeprince on November 09, 2011, 12:31:34 AM
If it is important to you, you will find a way.
If not you'll find an excuse.
Post by: gauranggroups on November 09, 2011, 01:15:20 AM
“Comfort” is no test of truth; on the contrary, truth is often far from being “comfortable.”
-Swami Vivekananda
Post by: gauranggroups on November 09, 2011, 01:16:18 AM
“I do not want to get material life. I do not want sense-life but something higher.” That is renunciation. Then, by the power of meditation, undo the mischief that has been done.
-Swami Vivekananda
Post by: gauranggroups on November 09, 2011, 01:18:35 AM
Neither in this world nor elsewhere is there any happiness in store for him who always doubts.
-Krishna Paramatma
Post by: gauranggroups on November 09, 2011, 01:20:17 AM
But they for whom I am the supreme goal, who do all work renouncing self for me and meditate on me with single-hearted devotion, these I will swiftly rescue from death's vast sea, for their consciousness has entered into me.
-Lord Krishna in Bhagavad Gita
Post by: gauranggroups on November 09, 2011, 01:21:30 AM
“The earth is enjoyed by heroes”—this is the unfailing truth. Be a hero. Always say, “I have no fear.”
-Swami Vivekananda
Post by: orangeprince on November 21, 2011, 02:35:51 PM
The greatest achievement is selflessness.
The greatest worth is self-mastery.
The greatest quality is seeking to serve others.
The greatest precept is continual awareness.
The greatest medicine is the emptiness of everything.
The greatest action is not conforming with the worlds ways.
The greatest magic is transmuting the passions.
The greatest generosity is non-attachment.
The greatest goodness is a peaceful mind.
The greatest patience is humility.
The greatest effort is not concerned with results.
The greatest meditation is a mind that lets go.
The greatest wisdom is seeing through appearances.

Atisha (11th century Tibetan Buddhist master)
Post by: orangeprince on December 01, 2011, 02:19:24 PM
THE GIFT OF CIVILIZATION

Before our white brothers arrived to make us civilized men, we didn\'t have any kind of prison. Because of this, we had no delinquents. We had no locks nor keys and therefore among us there were no thieves. When someone was so poor that he couldn\'t afford a horse, a tent or a blanket, he would, in that case, receive it all as a gift. We were too uncivilized to give great importance to private property!. We didn\'t know any kind of money and consequently, the value of a human being was not determined by his wealth. We had no written laws laid down, no lawyers, no politicians, therefore we were not able to cheat and swindle one another. We were really in bad shape before the white men arrived and I don\'t know how to explain how we were able to manage without these fundamental things that(so they tell us) are so necessary for a civilized society.

John(Fire) Lame Deer
Sioux Lakota - 1903-197
Post by: orangeprince on January 26, 2012, 02:23:31 AM
Some of the best Dalai Lama Quotes:

O1 : \"This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.\"

02 : \"The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness.\" -

03 : \"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can\'t help them, at least don\'t hurt them.\"

04 : \"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive.\"

05: \"Today, more than ever before, life must be characterized by a sense of Universal responsibility, not only nation to nation and human to human, but also human to other forms of life\" -

06: \"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness\" -

07: \"When you think everything is someone else´s fault, you will suffer a lot. When you realize that everything springs only from yourself, you will learn both peace and joy. Pride leads to violence and evil. The truly good gaze upon everything with love and understanding\" -

08:\"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves\"

09:\"Where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of real peace\"

10:\"Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent\"
Post by: gauranggroups on January 26, 2012, 06:24:17 PM
Better indeed is knowledge than mechanical practice. Better than knowledge is meditation. But better still is surrender of attachment to results, because there follows immediate peace.

- Quote from Srimad Bhagavad Gita
Post by: gauranggroups on January 26, 2012, 06:25:07 PM
Neither in this world nor elsewhere is there any happiness in store for him who always doubts.

- Quote from Srimad Bhagavad Gita
Post by: orangeprince on March 07, 2012, 10:24:22 AM
“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.”

- Mahatma Gandhi
Post by: karthik_83 on June 29, 2012, 02:23:51 AM
read bhagavadgita -)
Post by: orangeprince on July 04, 2012, 01:55:10 PM
Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” Maria Robinson.
Post by: SaSirEkha on August 05, 2012, 04:15:24 PM
nice collection of useful quotes
Post by: orangeprince on January 07, 2013, 02:34:37 PM
‎\"One had to cram all this stuff into one\'s mind for the examinations, whether one liked it or not. This coercion had such a deterring effect on me that, after I had passed the final examination, I found the consideration of any scientific problems distasteful to me for an entire year.\"

~ Albert Einstein ~
Post by: orangeprince on January 09, 2013, 03:13:22 PM
“A great relationship doesn\'t happen because of the love you had in the beginning but how well you continue building love until the end.”
Post by: orangeprince on January 12, 2013, 11:59:30 PM
Your work is not to drag the world
kicking and screaming into a new awareness.
Your job is to simply do your work..
Sacredly, Secretly and silently....
and those with \"eyes to see and ears to hear\",
will respond. - The Arcturians

Post by: Surabhi on February 22, 2013, 10:32:24 AM
A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.
Post by: shamita on April 10, 2013, 09:56:00 AM
'Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope."

" Margaret Thatcher"
Post by: shamita on April 10, 2013, 10:00:56 AM
"I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.”
Post by: orangeprince on August 15, 2013, 01:00:15 AM
How people treat you is their Karma, how you react is yours. - Dr.Wayne Dyer
Post by: orangeprince on September 12, 2013, 12:38:40 AM
"The truth doesn't mean anything. It just is." - Werner Erhard
Post by: orangeprince on January 14, 2014, 11:53:09 AM
You are always responsible for how you act, no matter how you feel. Always remember that - Anonymous
Post by: orangeprince on January 18, 2014, 06:03:08 PM
“To be aware of little, quiet things, you need to be quiet inside. A high degree of alertness is required. Be still. Look. Listen. Be present.”

~ Eckhart Tolle
Post by: orangeprince on January 20, 2014, 08:57:19 PM
If you feel lost, disappointed, hesitant, or weak, return to yourself, to who you are, here and now and when you get there, you will discover yourself, like a lotus flower in full bloom, even in a muddy pond, beautiful and strong.” ~ Masaru Emoto~
Post by: orangeprince on May 17, 2014, 10:38:29 PM
What matters is how quickly you do what your soul directs.

~ Rumi
Post by: kumara36 on August 27, 2014, 06:37:09 PM
"Appamado amathapadan" - Don't be late for any task
{Lord Buddha}