Astrology Forums

HEALING, MEDITATION AND SPIRITUALITY => Fitness, General Well Being and Home Decor => Topic started by: tara on July 20, 2011, 11:17:09 PM

Title: Cactus?
Post by: tara on July 20, 2011, 11:17:09 PM
Hello friends, I happen to learn that cactus is very good for health etc... the place where i live is more of hybrid veg exception with this cactus i assume are there any Indian food combination recipes with masala to prepare with cactus? please share I am very eager to prepare some dashing dishes using cactus.
~Tara
Post by: Seetaram on July 22, 2011, 09:53:36 PM
me too :smilegrin: pls share your recipe with me
Post by: tara on July 26, 2011, 10:41:41 PM
Welcome back!!! Seetaramji, I assume your trip to Himalayas was excellent and a relaxing one...we missed you here...

one of my shorties recipes for cactus
1) tomatoes + spring onion or onions + coriander + cactus( cleaned) +green chillies+(optional--avocado) cut all of this in small pieces and use it like salsa for any side for corn chips :)
~T
Post by: vlbedoc on July 27, 2011, 07:25:28 PM
welcome back Seetaram ji..!! i was wondering where u were..!

there are a few recipes here.. :

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56276&page=2
Post by: tara on July 27, 2011, 11:13:19 PM
vlbedoc, if you google you get dime a dozen recepies on internet which one is works good for Indian taste bud matters.... and also if some one has tried earlier it will be nice to try as we know that recipie comes out good taste or something .... anyways
I am trying this starter soup below recipe this weekend on some guests :-)
it is a \"Bean Soup with cactus\"

2 cups of bean, soaked for 5 or 6 hours and cooked with water in pressure cooker with salt
butter
1/2 red onion chopped
5  cactus pads, scraped and diced
good amount of cilantro chopped
salt and pepper to taste
boil or stew it and serve hot :-)
~Tara
Post by: vlbedoc on July 28, 2011, 01:47:08 AM
i know.. i posted that link coz most of the recipes were vegetarian..

ur soup sounds really good.. i would add a bit of chopped spinach and celery to that too.. adds color and nutritional value.. lots of vitamins & fibre and tastes fantastic..

just be sure to rinse the cactus well to avoid slime...
Post by: pallavi on July 28, 2011, 11:34:35 AM
@tara and vlbedoc
did anyone of you tried this ?
wonder how cactus tates like :kiss:
Post by: vlbedoc on July 28, 2011, 04:27:08 PM
yeah.. since we have a lot of mexicans here in US, these ppl bring such cuisines from back home.. they call it Nopalitos.. its good, light, slightly sour and juicy..
Post by: tara on July 28, 2011, 06:56:09 PM
Hi Pallavi, Honestly i am yet to try the soup... but my first recipe/salsa that goes with corn chips  I have tried BUT again can cactus not the fresh one.....My husband is already given me a bad look when I said i will try on the guests so many be I will not be experimenting this weekend but sure will try in small quantity and will keep you posted with the taste.
~T
Post by: Sushma on July 29, 2011, 09:08:03 AM
:lol: tara
try it and if you comeback with good health and post a reply, we\'ll try too ;)
it sounds good but i\'m not sure about taste
Post by: tara on July 29, 2011, 07:05:56 PM
Sushma, I bet you understand the universal fact that not all food that taste good are good for health! lol
~T
Post by: Sushma on July 30, 2011, 03:04:42 PM
yes .. same as protein stuff doesnt have good taste but carbohydrates taste good ;)
Post by: deepa on July 31, 2011, 08:35:59 AM
this is interesting
 i find lot of cactus when i travel out of city.
but few of them are dangerous to eat.
is this recipe for all cactus in general or any particular types ?
Post by: pallavi on August 02, 2011, 03:21:00 PM
i tried with a small cactus and it tasted :no::ninja::mad::borg::crazy:
Post by: vlbedoc on August 02, 2011, 05:29:53 PM
awww.. no.. did u cook it?
Post by: vlbedoc on August 02, 2011, 05:40:35 PM
deepa... well, its a particular variety of cactus called \'Nopales\' .. also called Prickly Pear Cactus.. the pads are broad, thin, 5-8 inch long.. best place to buy these are at a mexican market.. canned nopales are also available in general grocery stores..

they are grilled when added to salad/tacos/omlette and chopped & boiled when added to soups etc..
Post by: Seetaram on August 03, 2011, 12:25:54 AM
hello vlbedoc (will be doctor soon ;) ) and tara
my trip to amarnath was safe but tiresome so had to rest for some more time after i returned.

you ladies didnt find anything better to cook other than cactus :crazy:
Post by: vlbedoc on August 03, 2011, 06:06:04 PM
seetaram ji.. u figured it out! :) well, still hoping to.. i failed my exam! :( i worked so hard :(.. but i am trying again.. i am advising aastha abt patience, but i am losing mine.. (if only i can get paid for advising! ;))

ha ha ha!! cactus is good for u seetaram ji.. very low carbohydrate, high in vitamins, fiber, protein and water.. good for diabetics, and cholesterol pts too..
Post by: tara on August 03, 2011, 10:08:50 PM
well said Seetaramji, in fact i am a disaster when it comes to  cooking skills and added to that not sure why I choose an odd veg.

lately i also tried Punjabi wade i miss understood that goes with Punjabi kahadi and deep fried it and guess what the Punjabi wade became like a stone!!!
~T
Post by: shadow on August 04, 2011, 07:01:11 AM
[rquote=10211&topic=1478&author=deepa]this is interesting
 i find lot of cactus when i travel out of city.
but few of them are dangerous to eat.
is this recipe for all cactus in general or any particular types ?[/rquote]

not all cactus are edible, the one I find commonly are  listed here https://www.foodreference.com/html/art-cactus.html
Post by: shadow on August 04, 2011, 07:05:06 AM
[rquote=10266&topic=1478&author=Seetaram]hello vlbedoc (will be doctor soon ;) ) and tara
my trip to amarnath was safe but tiresome so had to rest for some more time after i returned.

you ladies didnt find anything better to cook other than cactus :crazy:[/rquote]

welcome back Seetaram ji ! Hope you had good trip .

As far as food I try to research with many different cuisines.. Have you guys heard of jute leave..or mulakhiya (famous mid east spinach)..I haven\'t tried it yet..but soon I will be getting some and cook it.