Shortage of Space in Graveyards by 2050

Started by JayTee, April 18, 2010, 02:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayTee

World population is more than 6,815,100,000 now and it will be doubled by 2050 atleast.
If we go on burying all deceased bodies , then in next few years where on earth will we have space to bury 6 billion people ?

if we bury all of them and leave those areas for graveyards, then how much land will be left for agriculture, business, buildings, roads etc?

Already there are proposals for double burials with 2 bodies on top of one another in few countries.
Isn\'t this an insult to the dead ?

HPG777

i think they do the double burials in lots of countires...maybe cremation will become more mainstream by then. i think i read somewhere that the ashes are good for growing too..it sounds morbid but it\'s nature!

Ravi Varma

why dont they too adapt cremation(burning) of dead bodies which saves lots of space on earth.
Hindus burn the bodies and mix the ash and bones in river water.
The concept behind this is bones are made of calcium which doesnt not decompose in earth\'s soil for 1000s of years and it causes obsctruction for growth of proper soil useful for cultivation of plants etc

but if you leave them in flowing rivers, they mix up into seas and oceans which have heavy salt water which can break down bones in lesser time.
and this calcium is useful for fish and other sea population

HPG777

that\'s really interesting ravi! i never knew the calcium could help sea life. i\'ve always leaned more towards cremation against my family\'s beliefs but now i think it\'s definitely the best way to dispose of the body. especially now that i know the ashes can benefit both animals and the earth. good to know.

[rquote=4870&topic=726&author=Ravi Varma]why dont they too adapt cremation(burning) of dead bodies which saves lots of space on earth.
Hindus burn the bodies and mix the ash and bones in river water.
The concept behind this is bones are made of calcium which doesnt not decompose in earth\'s soil for 1000s of years and it causes obsctruction for growth of proper soil useful for cultivation of plants etc

but if you leave them in flowing rivers, they mix up into seas and oceans which have heavy salt water which can break down bones in lesser time.
and this calcium is useful for fish and other sea population[/rquote]

Samantha

ancient hindus identified this problem ages ago and started burning dead bodies
they even burned dead animals and birds

epic book Ramayan has an episode where jatayu (eagle species) which was killed by raavan was burned later by Raam.

also burning os good because, if the dead had some diseases in their body, those bacteria and virus also will be burned into ashes and then useful for earth and sea.

if you bury them, those germs will still be alive and spread through soil

buddists realised this and started burning dead bodies

DCP

many religions bury and thats the reason why they make horror movies with half de-composed faces of ghosts as they imagine similar bodies in coffins
some day they\'ll realise that there\'s no more space to bury new bodies and atleast they\'ll understand why hindus and buddhists burned bodies

Sushma

it will be too late in their countries when they realise it

pallavi

its high time western countries realise this
i wonder how a small but highly populated country like pakistan is managing burial grounds issue

Ranjana

may be they\'re living on graves already

Seetaram

i dont know where in Quran or Bible did those authors mention to bury a corpse
i dont see reasons to follow that.
May be because both christians and muslims came from same race of Abraham, they just followed those jewish traditions
All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire