Menstrual Periods bring pain, fatigue, irritabililty, discomfort together.
However, there are few asanas in Yoga to reduce menstrual pain and Premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
Pasasana (Noose Pose)
Pasasana (Noose Pose) is known by that name for the type of twist done while doing this pose.
The name comes from sanskrit words pasa (पाश, pāśa) meaning “noose” or “snare”.
This is very good to cure menstrual discomfort, sciatica, mild back, shoulder and neck pain.
It stretches the muscles of the back, ankles and groin, stimulates the uterus, improves digestion and removes constipation.
It also relieves lower back pain that so many women experience during their periods.
Steps to do Noose Pose (Pasasana):
- Start by standing tall, with your hands in the namaste position.
- Keep your feet together with your back straight.
- Now bend your knees and squat such that your buttocks are resting on your calves.
- Exhale and stretch your right hand over your left knee such that your forearm passes over your shin. This will cause your back to twist.
- Take your free hand behind your back and clasp the other hand. Either you could interlock the fingers of both your hands or hold the wrist of either hand.
- Hold this position for ten to fifteen minutes while breathing gently.
- To get out of the pose, release one hand and slowly twist out of the position.
Precautions while doing Pāśasana : Do not attempt this pose is you suffer from a knee, back or neck injury.
Other asanas that can be tried in yoga to reduce menstrual pain and PMS are :
- Ushtrasana (Camel pose) for 15 -20 seconds at a time.
It stretches the front of the body, ankles, thighs, groin, abdomen and chest. It also stimulates the abdominal organs, increasing the blood flow to the uterus helping it heal faster, relieves you from back ache and helps your body relax.
- Dhanurasana for 15 -20 seconds at a time. This is a relaxing pose, so just enjoy the stretch and do not over do it and avoid both this and Ushtrasana during pregnancy, if having neck or back injury, abdominal surgery, high blood pressure.
It helps ease cramps and regulate the flow of blood to and from the uterus – relieving the pain and bloating feeling one normally feels during this time.
- Matsyasana for 5-10 minutes. But avoid if you suffer from above health conditions.
It stimulats the organs in the stomach and abdomen region, fighting indigestion, gas and that feeling of bloating.
Reference : Pasasana (Noose Pose) – Wikipedia