Sinusitis or rhinosinusitis is inflammation of the paranasal sinuses, which may be due to infection, allergy, or autoimmune issues. Most cases are due to a viral infection and resolve quickly through proper medication and care.
However, acute rhinosinusitis can last upto 4 weeks, recurrent acute rhinosinusitis will repeat every year in winter or rainy season, subacute rhinosinusitis lasts between 4-12 weeks and chronic rhinosinusitis lasts for more than 12 weeks and even after treatment can comeback.
Yogasanas, Pranayama and tips:
- Suryabedhana Pranayama : Close the left nostril, breathe in with right and breathe out with left. Do this for 15 to 20 min.
- Surya Bhastrika: Close the left nostril, breathe in slowly with right nostril and breathe out through right nostril.
- Surya kapalbhati: Close the left nostril and breathe out with right nostril without putting effort to breathe in.
- Avoid too hot and too cold foods.
- Avoid spending much time or sleeping in AC rooms and do not sleep directly under the fan.
- If travelling in cold season, give protection to ears by plugging with cotton.
- Massage with sesame oil on both sides of nose.
- Mix candy sugar powder, half spoon turmeric with diluted milk and drink after dinner.
- Can take butter milk after adding turmeric, methi(fenugreek) powder, onion juice.
- Avoid taking bottle gourd, dosa, tomato, lady’s finger, curd/yogurt etc which increase kapha(phlegm) in the body.
- Two drops of neem oil in both nostrils before dinner and inhale strongly. Phlegm will come out from sinus region.
Ayurvedic Home Made Recipes to Cure Sinusitis
Method : Add 10 tulasi leaves, 10 pepper and 2 inch ginger piece (all crushed) to two cups of water and boil till one cup remains. Add one spoon candy sugar powder and drink it hot. Avoid taking bath or taking food till one hour. Can take two times a day.
Benefits : Sinus problem will be eliminated.
Method : Rose petals – 100 gm, Sesame oil – 100 gm needed.
When oil is boiling on low flame, add rose petals slowly. Boil till the petals blacken.
Filter the oil and store. Add 3 to 4 drops in the nostrils during the morning and evening till the problem subsides.
Benefits : Sinus problem is eliminated.
Tulasi Powder Inhaling
Method : Take nasyam (powder inhaling) of Lakshmi tulasi dried powder through each nostril.
Benefits : All head problems, cold, sinus etc are removed.
Can be added as masala to any food item also.
Turmeric with Rice
Method : Add half spoon turmeric to hot cooked rice (one fist full) and place it in a cloth. Foment the bundled cloth on the sides of nose. Can also be kept on nose and lie down for some time.
Benefits : Problems of blocked nose due to non-entry of air will be eliminated within 5 to 10 minutes.