1. If the Sun is a functional benefic planet, is the combust planet always considered weak ?
Let us first understand the combustion as a concept. Whenever a planet comes very near to the Sun, it is divested of its brightness (luster). The said state is called combustion.
While in the state of combustion, the planets lack power to protect and promote the significations/houses ruled by them. If such a planet is weak on other accounts too, the significations ruled by them do not even take birth. The planets are said to be combust when they are within the below mentioned degrees on either side of the Sun.
The planets are considered combust when they have following longitudinal difference with the Sun on either side:
- Moon – 12 degrees
- Mars – 17 degrees
- Mercury – 14 degrees (12 degrees when retrograde)
- Venus – 10 degrees (8 degrees when retrograde)
- Jupiter – 11 degrees
- Saturn – 15 degrees
When both the Sun and the combust planet are functional benefic planets and are closely conjunct, we have to see their two roles distinctively. Firstly, as the lords of the two auspicious houses they rule. The significations of both of these houses will flourish and will be connected to each other except the short run transit malefic influences which will stress the combust planet comparatively more than the Sun. Secondly, the role of a combust planet. The combust planet is considered as a weak planet but in case the Sun and planet(s) involved are functional benefic planets, the weakness of the combust planet(s) is operative only at the time of natal or transit afflictions.
1. Can we call the combust planet “Weak”?
Yes. The weakness due to combustion gives high and low tides in life and need astral strength for the planets to enable them to fight natal and / or transit afflictions.
2. We understand that when combust, a planet will transfer its significations to the Sun. Right? Does that mean that if, say, the lord of the sixth gets combust, the Sun will take on its qualities of dispute, conflict, and injury, even if their orb of conjunction is more than 6 degrees?
If a functional malefic planet closely influences any other planet or the Sun, a functional malefic planet will certainly color the significations of the planet under its influence, negatively.
3. Is there ever a time when the transit influence continues for a longer duration?
Generally, the maximum limit of transit influences is around four months when Rahu/Ketu axis is stationary.
4. As for the Sun, to what extent the influence of the combust planet helps as the combust planet will be weak and not in a position to help the Sun?
When both the Sun and the combust planet are functional benefic planets and are closely conjunct, one should see their role as the lords of the two houses they rule. The significations of both of these houses will flourish and will be connected to each other except the short run transit malefic influences which will stress the combust planet comparatively more than the Sun.
5. In a situation, where the dispositor of the Sun is combust, the Sun indirectly hurting itself by causing combustion to its own dispositor, would there be more weakness to both dispositor of the Sun and Sun itself, if Sun was a functional malefic planet for the ascendant in question?
That is right.