Black Onyx has a Trigonal crystal system and is in the mineral class
of oxide, the quartz group. It is a Chalcedony whose black coloring
comes from the presence of iron and carbon. It is formed
hydrothermally or in cooler solutions in the hollows of rocks.
It actually occurs in a variety of colors. While predominantly black,
it can also be black and white, red and white or an orange-brown,
honey colored and white. When used in fine jewelry, please note that
most has been dyed to remove any color imbalances and make it a pure,
solid black. It is a stone that is carved easily, and I’m sure many of
you have seen the horse head book ends that are a popular souvenir
brought home from visits to Mexico.
Onyx encourages self-realization. It aids in pursuing our own goals
with determination and is particularly suited for those who may be
easily influenced or lead. It is also beneficial for centering and
aligning the whole person with the higher powers.
Onyx boosts our self-confidence and sense of responsibility. It
encourages a healthy ego and the willingness to get involved in a
dispute if it is necessary.
Onyx improves the ability to assert ourselves. By stimulating
analytical thought and logic, it improves concentration and will
assist us in arguing in a determined manner. It also provides a sober
and realistic outlook to our lives which improves control over our own
Onyx will sharpen the sense of hearing and heal diseases of the inner
ear. It improves the function of the sensory and motor nervous system,
helps with weaknees of the eyes and can fortify the immune system
against susceptibility to infection.
First – Base or Root Chakra – color Black. Reinforces the knowledge
that there is no death, aids in understanding the wheel of birth,
death and rebirth. Brings the knowledge that separation is an illusion
and reunion will come. Removes fear and anxiety, promotes a trust in
ones self and brings a feeling of safety and security.
Onyx has a special affinity with Leo, and lesser with Aquarius,
Pisces, Cancer and Libra. It has a Projective Energy, its Planets are
Mars and Saturn and its Element is Fire.
Onyx used in classical, ceremonial magick, had the image of the head
of the god Mars or a figure of the hero Hercules engraved on it and
was carried for courage. It has traditionally been used as a
protective stone and as a defense against negativity or psychic attack.
Onyx has been mainly used set in a ring, with a Diamond at its center.
The Diamond, said to be sexually arousing, surrounded by the Onyx,
which can be sexually inhibiting, symbolizes the control over sexual
In the Middle Ages, Onyx was thought to bring bad luck, sadness, fear,
images of madness during sleep, and discord or dispute, especially
between lovers. It still carries some of this reputation into modern
times as well.
Black Onyx Gemstone Meanings – Emotional, Spiritual, etc.
- Black onyx is used in India to ward off ‘the evil eye’.
- Black Onyx helps stop your energy being drained away.
- Black Onyx helps with stress.
- Black Onyx is believed to sharpen the whitts of the person
wearing the gemstone.
- Black Onyx is considered the gemstone to “feel better
- Black Onyx helps repel negative energy surrounding others
opinions and ideas.
- Black Onyx is good for entrepreneurs and inventors
- Black Onyx helps create emotional stability.
- Black Onyx absorbs and flattens emotions intensity.
- Black Onyx is used as a worry stone in the Middle East.
- Black Onyx helps to smooth the ‘rola coaster of emotions’
we all face at times.
- Black Onyx is said to be helpful in overcoming a past relationship
or an unwanted form of love towards somebody.
- Black Onyx helps you become master of your own fate.
- Black Onyx guards against negativity.
- Black Onyx helps eradicate excess energies.
- Black Onyx can be used as a defense in many disagreements
- Black Onyx is associated with the planet Saturn.
- Black Onyx governs the 1st chakra – root chakra.
Black Onyx Gemstone Meanings – Healing, Medical, Physical,
- Black Onyx helps control stress and eliminates negative thinking.
- Black Onyx increases stamina.
- Black Onyx aids childbirth.
- Black Onyx aids sexual health and self control.
- Black Onyx is said to strengthen the heart, kidneys, nerves,
capillaries, hair, eyes and nails.
- Black Onyx helps eradicate unwanted/undue stress.
- Black Onyx relates to the ovaries, womb and menses.