Homemade ayurvedic shampoos for your hair
Methi Shikakai Shampoo
Methi seeds(Fenugreek) – 250 grams
Shikakai (Acacia concinna – refer wikipedia for plant’s botanical name and picture – 1 kilogram
Dried orange/lemon peels – handful
Crush all the ingredients to a fine powder and store. Use this powder shampoo to wash your hair as you would do with others. However, remember to soak this powder in ½ cup of boiling water 2 hours before using it on your hair.
Reetha Shikakai shampoo.
Take some dry soap nuts(reetha) and soak them in water overnight.
Mash them in the morning and strain the soapy solution.
Add a tsp of shikakai powder and wash your hair.
Amla Shikakai shampoo
For healthy hair use herbal shampoos with the following ingredients: 100 grams of Reetha seeds, 100 grams of Amla Powder, 100 grams of dried shikakai powder, 20 grams of Aloe Vera juice and 3 glasses of hot water. Soak the rita seed in warm water and squeeze out the juice . Add to this amla powder,shikakai powder and aloe vera juice and use as regular shampoo.
Khus-khus Shikakai shampoo
1) Shikakai 1 kg
2) Bengal gram (chana dal) ¼ kg
3) full green gram (moong) ¼ kg
4) poppy seeds (khus-khus) ¼ kg
5) fenugreek (methi seeds) 100 gms
6) horse gram 100gms
Method: Make sure the ‘Shikakai’ is dry or else dry it in the sun. Take all the ingredients to a mill and get them ground. Store in an airtight container when cool.
Take 2½ tablespoons for 1 wash of long hair, 1½ tablespoons for shoulder length hair or 1½ teaspoons for very short hair and mix it with enough water to make a thick liquid of shampoo constituency.
Apply on wet scalp and hair and rub all over nicely. After 2 minutes rinse properly with lots of water and make sure no lumps are left on the hair or scalp.
Chamomile Fields Shampoo
* 4 bags of Chamomile tea (or 1 handful of fresh Chamomile flowers)
* 4 tablespoons pure soap flakes
* 1 1/2 tablespoons glycerin*
Let the tea bags steep in 1 1/2 cups of boiled water for 10 minutes. Remove the tea bags and with the remaining liquid add the soap flakes. Let stand until the soap softens. Stir in glycerin until mixture is well blended. Pour into a bottle. Keep in a dark, cool place.
A transparent sweet liquid, a by-product of soapmaking. Glycerin is used in many cosmetic products. It acts as a humectant, which means it retains moisture. You can purchase it at most drug stores or health food stores.
Relaxant, great bedtime drink, slows down central nervous system.
Storage- Most recipes require refrigeration since they don’t contain preservatives. Shelf Life is approximately 1 week.
Homemade remedy to prevent hair loss:
Make a paste by mixing olive oil, honey and cinnamon (dal chini) powder. Massage on the scalp and leave it for 15 minutes. Wash with a mild shampoo. Repeat it for 3-4 times a week.
Make a paste by grinding fenugreek seeds with water. Massage on the scalp after oiling the hair and leave it for one hour before washing. Repeat it every morning for a month.
Make a paste by mixing two eggs, two tablespoons each of amla, reetha and shikakai powder. Massage on the scalp and leave it for 30 minutes. Wash with a mild shampoo. Repeat it for 3-4 times a week.
Drink 1 teaspoon cider vinegar mixed in 1 glass of water with meals for 2-3 weeks.
Drink a smoothie of banana, honey, yogurt, and skim milk.
Drink daily a juice of alfalfa + fresh spinach or fresh coriander. Your hair will grow fast.
caution : hair shud not be let dry when applied hair packs cos after washing, hair turns rough..
DO : cover the hair completely by any head-cover/polythene bag so that the hair soak in the hair pack. by washing after an hr the hair turns soft n conditioned.
1) 1 tea spoon fenugreek seed powder mixed with 1 cup of yogurt. Apply and leave for ½ an hour before washing.
2) Take 2 tblspns of Beetroot juice and add 1 egg and 1 tspn limejuice to this. Apply and leave for ½ an hour before washing.Oil hair well before going to bed. Next morning mix 1 tspn limejuice with ½ tspn salt. Rub this on the scalp with the peel of a lime turned inside out. Leave for 1 hour before shampooing.
3) About 10-15 minutes before you wash your hair, rub a lot of aloe vera gel into your scalp. leave it on for 10 minutes, and shampoo your hair like you regulary do. if you do this everyday the dandruff will stay away.
4) Using lime juice to wash hair.
5) Massage your hair with warm coconut oil and apply the juice of 2 lemons, steam your hair and leave the oil on for about 2 hours. Shampoo with a mild shampoo. Repeat 2-3 times a week.
6) Boil a handful of neem leaves in 4 teacups of water. After cooling and filtering, use for rinsing
For thick and black hair
Take hibiscus leaves (yerupu onti rekha mandaraakulu) and curry leaves (karivepakulu) in equal quantity. paste it with water. now apply this to oil applied hair. wash off after an hour with shikai/reeta powder. shampoo is alternate.
by doing this for once in a week for atleast three you can see your hair grow thick-black-strong.twice in a week is also advicable.
addition of few neem leaves would keep your scalp away from dandruff/allergies.
For Naturally CURLY HAIR
Take garlic cover(transparent skin like delicate cover above it) and burn them in a bowl on stove.
mix that ash ion olive oil and apply every night and wash in morning to get curly hair naturally.
Homemade tips to controll splitends.
1) Apply olive oil at bed time and wash off the hair next morning.
2) At home, wash hair with cold water, rub scalp with fingers. This is a simple, and effective remedy against hair loss.
3) Boil Henna leaves in mustard oil till they are burnt, the oil can be filtered. A regular massage of this oil is helpful.
4) Seeds of lime and black pepper ground together to a fine paste helps treat patchy baldness.
5) Apply coconut milk all over the scalp and massage into roots.
6) Scrub the area of patchy baldness with onions untill it becomes red. Follow up by applying honey over this patch.
7) Trim the hair every 4 to 5 weeks even if you are growing it.
8 ) Avoid rubber bands, sharp clips, spiky brushes and do not brush hair when it is wet.
9) The juice of leaves of bhongra massaged into the head is an effective hair tonic to check falling hair.
10) The paste made from powdered seeds of shana with coconut/sesame/castor oil is used as a hair tonic.
11) The juice of kanta karika mixed with honey applied to the head acts as a hair tonic.
12) The oil extracted from rohisa, briskly rubbed into the head encourages the new growth.
13) The oil extracted from the seeds of sagvan is massaged on the head to check premature loss of hair.