Sirshasana or Headstand pose in yoga is considered as king of all asanas.
Sirsha in sanskrit means head and this posture of balancing entire body on head is beneficial for both body and mind.
The greatest physical benefits of the sirshasana are to the neck, spine and brain. It also increases the flow of blood to the brain.
By reversing the normal effects of gravity, it rests the heart, aids the circulation, and relieves pressure on the lower back. Practiced regularly, it will help prevent back problems and improve memory, concentration, and the sensory faculties. Inverting the body also makes you breathe deeply, bringing a fresh supply of oxygen-rich blood to the brain – any slight breathing difficulty you experience at first will quickly pass. Mastering the Headstand requires no great strength. It is largely a matter of conquering your fears and believing you can do it. The key to balance is the tripod formed by elbows and hands – make sure your elbows don’t shift out of position.
Steps for Sirsasana (Head stand pose) :
- Sit in a kneeling position with your hips resting on the heels of the feet.
- Lean forward and place your forearms on the floor in front and keeping the elbows about shoulder distance apart. Interlock fingers of both hands.
- Place the top of the head flat on the floor with the back of the head pressed against the inside of the interlocked fingers.
- Placing the tips of the toes firmly on the floor while lifting the heels, raise the knees off the floor.
- Hold the posture till you can hold your breath, when it is difficult to hold slowly breath-out and return back to the floor.
- On the first attempt hold the asana for 15-30 seconds or till you can hold your breath and gradually increase the duration as long as you feel comfortable.
- Till you get used to this asana and feel comfortable, practice this under supervision of a yoga guru only.
Benefits of Sirsasana (head stand pose) :
- Blood circulation improves to scalp and hairfall is arrested. Premature greying of hair and other problems like dandruff are also eliminated once you master this pose
- It supplies fresh oxygent filled blood to brain and helps increasing memory power and intellect.
- Helps in relaxing your brain from stress and strain and also helps in getting sound sleep
- Headaches, pain in neck and shoulders are eliminated
- Cold, phelgm in head, nose and throat is removed after getting used to this Asana daily.
- Will reduce body fat considerably and balances the center of gravity of your body