Caraway seeds are known as Shah Jeera (Sajeera or Kala Jeera) and are between dark brown to black color.
They are native to western Asia, Europe and Northern Africa.
The plant is similar in appearance to other members of the carrot family, with finely divided, feathery leaves with thread-like divisions, growing on 20–30 cm stems. The main flower stem is 40–60 cm tall, with small white or pink flowers in umbels. Caraway fruits (erroneously called seeds) are crescent-shaped achenes, around 2 mm long, with five pale ridges.
Shahjeera or Caraway Seeds Usages in Recipes
Shahjeera or Caraway contain health benefiting nutrients, minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants that are powerful digestive aid and helps eliminate stomach gas.
These are extensively used in Indian cooking for the preparation of masalas, curries and side dishes.
The fruits, usually used whole, have a pungent, anise-like flavor and aroma that comes from essential oils, mostly carvone and limonene. Anethole, generally regarded as a minor product in the essential oil of this species, has also been found to be a major component.
Caraway is used as a spice in breads, especially rye bread.
It is also called as Kalonji (black caraway seeds) and is a good remedy of eczema.
Infact it is regarded as the best medicine for every regular health issue except death.
As with all spices, kala jeera should be stored in a cool dry place, and preferably in the dark. When you need kala jeera for a recipe, measure it from the storage container into a small dish, never directly over cooking food, as the heat or humidity can get into the container and spoil the spice. Try to use kala jeera within six months to one year, and toast it before use if you want an especially strong, distinctive flavor.
Caraway seed, has great importance which cannot be ignored as it is a vital spice in Indian kitchen with numerous health benefits. Jeera can be used to make Jal
Jeera, AamPana, Curd Milk and many soft drinks, which satisfy your taste buds and make you feel refreshing in scorching heat. Further sprinkle of kaala jeera on fruits, truly enhances the flavor.
Curd with Jeera powder and salt, helps to keep the mind fresh for suitable digestion and healthy functioning of blood.
Shahjeera or Caraway Seeds Benefits
- Kaala Jeera has stimultant, antispasmodic, stomachic, carminative, hypolipidemic, antibacterial, astringent, and sedative properties
- Kala Jeera effectively increases body metabolism. It is useful to treat skin diseases like the eczema, dry skin and psoriasis.
- Daily use of kala jeera in food helps in improving memory, controlling diabetes by reducing blood sugar level.
- It acts on female reproductive system which reduces inflammation of the uterus.
- It is helpful in improving prenatal health in pregnant women. It is helpful for lactating mothers by providing high iron content and milk production.
- The powder form assists in cancer treatment due to its powerful activities in radical scavenging, by slowing down development of colon and breast cancer cells.
- Carway tea is helpful in relieving digestive disorders by relaxing the intestines and reduces itching.
- Helps to stop bleeding from the gums
- Cures mouth ulcers
- Reduces foul smell
- Heals aching part of the body
There are no known side effects of caraway seeds.